Monday, January 27, 2014

I'm in love. DIY Coconut Milk and Flour!



                                                       Pin me! DIY Coconut Milk and Flour

It's official. I'm addicted to coconut milk. Like, legit/homemade, unsweetened, unadulterated coconut milk--just coconut 'n water all blended into frothy perfection. It's so creamy...and WHITE! In fact, I can't believe how grey cow's milk actually is now that my eyes have been opened lol So simple and cheap...and the pulp can be strained out, baked, and used as flour!

MILK:
2 cups unsweetened, shaved coconut
4 cups HOT water
--soak for an hour--
Blend on high for two or three mins
Pour through a small mesh strainer
Save pulp
Store in airtight, glass container (I've heard coconut milk lasts longer than other milks because of its composition; however, it never lasts longer than a day at my house  )

FLOUR:
Spread pulp in a thin layer onto a baking sheet
Bake on 200 for a few hours (until all moisture has evaporated)
Transfer from baking sheet to a high powered blender (like a Vitamix)
Blend on high until the pulp reaches a flour like consistency

I have a few ideas of what I'd like to use the coconut flour for, but for now it's in a glass canister on the counter waiting for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment